Adsense

Tuesday 22 May 2007

Arsenal could do worse than Distin

If Arsenal want to improve their back line, they could swoop for Man City’s Sylvain Distin...says Chris Cousins.

Distin is moving away from the City of Manchester stadium on a Bosman, with Portsmouth favourites to win the race for his services.

If I was Arsene Wenger, I’d make a move for Distin, providing he accepts he can’t be guaranteed a starting role.

Distin would find it incredibly difficult to displace William Gallas and Kolo Toure, but Wenger could consider moving Toure to right back to accommodate Distin.

After the season that Emmanuel Eboue has had, I don’t think the right back can necessarily be relied upon to shore up the side defensively.

Distin is a cool customer and could definitely improve the squad with his experience, though you could argue he’s a bit too similar to Gallas to dovetail well with him. I’m not sure about that, and I guess we’ll never find out if Distin goes to Pompey.

Funny enough, Harry Redknapp wants to take Johan Djourou to Fratton Park as well, with a fee of £3m being talked about.

As I’ve said before, I wouldn’t let Djourou go on loan to Birmingham City and I wouldn’t sell him (certainly not at that price anyway!).

I’d keep Djourou, get Distin and offer Pompey Philippe Senderos (telling old ‘Arry that the ‘Swiss gnoll’ is the new Tony Adams).

No comments:

adsense